Full scholarships for DRD students
For applicants from Sub-Saharan African countries with an excellent academic record the DRD offers a limited number of DAAD merit scholarships per year.
Scholarships are available for full-time students of
Scholarships include monthly allowances of 650 Euro plus travel allowances for Master candidates and 900 Euro plus travel allowances for PhD candidates. More information about requirements for application and application procedure is provided below.
Requirements for application and application procedure
- Scholarship applicants are adviced to carefully read about the specific entry requirements and course application procedure of the programme of their choice. The information is available from the respective programmes sections.In addition to programme requirements, all applicants have to meet the following requirements:
- Applicants should be from Sub-Sahara Africa
- Applicants should have achieved a first or upper second class for their previous course of study
- The study must have been completed at an accredited University
- The previous degree should have been an academic discipline which is related to developement, such as economics, sociology, social anthropology, agriculture, statistics, etc.
- South African students are required to have an honours degree in order to be admitted to a Masters degree course
- Applicants must provide evidence of proficiency in English, both written and spoken. This can be TOEFL test or a similar standard test or a letter from an academic institution
- Applicants should preferably have been involved in development organisations, as interns, volunteers or employees
- There is no formal age restriction, but applicants should apply within three years of completing their previous degree, unless they have a good reason for having been academically inactive for a period
- Women are encouraged to apply
- Applicants must be able to study fulltime at the UWC for the required period.
You will have to fill in an electronic application form (download here)! Applications not using this e-form can´t be considered! As the e-form can only be submitted once, please make sure that your application is complete before submitting it!
Documents that have to be uploaded when using the e-form are:
- a letter of application
- a CV,
- an academic transcript from your last university
- certified copies of all academic certificates
- MA applicants will have to write a one page paper about 1out of 4 topics mentioned in the e-form.
- PhD applicants are asked to also submit a 6 page proposal on the research they would want to undertake for the thesis. This should include their research question, the research methodology and a (provisional) theoretical framework.
- Additional to the e-form, two signed references (one academic, one professional) are independently to be submitted via email to
. REFERENCES not being submitted TO THIS EMAIL address CAN'T BE CONSIDERED!!!
Candidates for the Masters Programme in Public Administration (MPA), the MA and M Econ in Development Studies as well as PhD candidates in the fields of Governance, Public Policy, Public Management or Development Studies can submit their scholarship application without needing to apply for admission at UWC. If they are awarded a scholarship, or if they intend to finance themselves, they may apply for admission through the online application procedure (www.uwc.ac.za).
- We are unfortunately not able to engage in extended correspondence with applicants.
- For applicants of the MPA, the MA Econ in Development Studies as well as PhD candidates the closing date for all scholarship applications is 31 July 2013. Applicants will be informed about their applications by the 31August 2013.
- For additional information on the courses or on registration please write to:
for the MA and M Econ or PhD in Development Studies and to
on the MPA course or an PhD in Public Administration or Governance.
- Britta Niklas for the Master of Arts in Development Management (Bochum Programme)
Scholarships for a study period in Germany
Apart from full scholarships for participation in one of the above mentioned programmes a number of mobility scholarships for Master students are available each year. These scholarships are aimed at funding a study period in Germany. During such a study period abroad scholarship holders can participate in a Summer School at Ruhr-Univeristy Bochum, complete an internship with a German organization working in the field related to their studies or they can visit Ruhr-Univeristy Bochum during the completion phase of their Master Thesis for intensive supervision periods.
It is not necessary to apply for mobility scholarships before starting your studies. The application procedure for mobility scholarships will instead be announced to participants of the cooperating programmes.
Curriculum Vitae Template
For further questions, the DRD coordinators at UWC or RUB can be contacted. But please don´t ask any questions before 3rd May, when the new e-form will be published!